Detail View: Manuscripts:

Identifier: 
MS806.2
Title: 
MISCELLANY
Description: 
A miscellany of papers bound up in the Library during the archiepiscopate of Thomas Tenison, Archbishop of Canterbury 1694-1715. In two volumes, separately foliated.
Description: 
ff. 1r-12r. 'The Relation of a Voyage unto New England begun from the Lizard ye first of June 1607, by Capt. Popham in the Ship the Gift, Capt. Gilbert in the Mary and John', written by .... and found in the papers of the truly worshipful Sir Ferdinando Gorges Knt [1568-1647] by me William Griffith'. The title page (only) is in the hand of William Griffith from whom Thomas Tenison acquired this and numerous other manuscripts. See Custodial history field. The Popham Colony was established in 1607 by the Virginia Company of Plymouth. Leaving Plymouth England on May 31, 1607, 120 colonists arrived at the mouth of the Sagadahoc River on August 13, 1607 aboard the Gift of God, and on August 16, 1607 aboard the Mary and John. Colony leader George Popham (1550-1608) was aboard the Gift of God, with Raleigh Gilbert second in command. Robert Davies was captain of the Mary and John. Recorded in Charles M. Andrews and Frances G. Davenport, 'Guide to the Manuscript Materials for the History of the United States to 1783, in the British Museum, in Minor London Archives, and in the Libraries of Oxford and Cambridge' (Washington, 1908), p. 288, noting that it is printed in Proceedings of the Massachusetts Historical Society, vol. XVIII, 1880-1881; by the Gorges Society of Portland, Maine, 1892; and in H. S. Burrage's Early English and French Voyages, 1906. ff. 13r-23v. 'Interrogatories put to George Earl of Bristoll after his return from his Spanish negotiations in the year 1626 [sic], with his answers there unto'. Twenty questions put to John Digby, 1st Earl of Bristol (1580-1653) by Parliament in 1624 on his return from his embassy to Spain, with his answers. The title page and notes (f. 13r-v) are in the hand of William Griffith from whom Thomas Tenison acquired this and numerous other manuscripts. See Custodial history field. Recorded in the catalogue of the personal library of Thomas Tenison of c.1715-16 (LR/F/16, f. 69r). `Cf. S. R. Gardiner ed., 'The Earl of Bristol's defence of his negotiations in Spain', in Camden Society vol 104, 1871. ff. 24r-39v. 'The Apologie of Sir Walter Ralegh for his Voyage to Guiana'. Concerns the final voyage of Sir Walter Ralegh, or Sir Walter Raleigh, 1616-18, written by him in the Tower. It was published as 'Judicious and select essayes and observations by ... Sir Walter Raleigh, upon the first invention of shipping, the misery of invasive warre, the navy royall and sea-service. With his apologie for his voyage to Guiana (London, 1650). The title page and notes at f. 26r are in the hand of William Griffith from whom Thomas Tenison acquired this and numerous other manuscripts; his signature and date 1664 is also at f. 26r. See Custodial history field. ff. 40r-82v. 'Mount Calvary, or the history of the passion, death, and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, written in Cornish (as it may bee coniectured) some centuries past; interpreted in the English tongue in the year 1682 by John Keigwin'. In Cornish and English. Title in the hand of Thomas Tenison at f. 40r. John Keigwin (1641-1716) was a Cornish antiquary. Published as John Keigwin, 'Mount Calvary, or, The History of the Passion, Death, and Resurrection, of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ; Written in Cornish (as it may be conjectured) some centuries past; interpreted in the English tongue, in the year 1682, by John Keigwin; edited by Davies Gilbert (London: J. B. Nichols, 1826). ff. 83r-99v. 'A short view of the raigne of Kinge Henry the third'. Begins: 'Weary with the lingringe calamities of civill armes...'. Written in two hands. ?Late 16th cent. ff. 100r-106v. 'Propositions relating to Church Government and Communion'. A work in support of the non-jurors, with a note (f. 100r) in the hand of Thomas Tenison: 'Copy of a paper taken with Mr. Grascomb N.J. Aug 1698'. Samuel Grascome (1641-1705), Non-juring clergyman and controversialist, was a fugitive for 19 months after 1696. He was presumably arrested, with this paper in his possession. ff. 107r-126v. ''The Life of Mrs. Dorothy Lawson of St. Anthony [text missing]. Dedicated to the Right Honourable the lady Mary Roper, Abb[ess of] the English Monastery of the holy order of St [text missing] at Ghent'. Dedication signed 'William Palmes'. A life of Dorothy Lawson (1580-1632), recusant and priest harbourer, of Heaton Hall and St. Antony's, Northumberland. By her Jesuit chaplain William Palmes [? William Palmer, SJ (1591-1670)]. Owned by Thomas Tenison, Archbishop of Canterbury. Recorded in the catalogue of the personal library of Archbishop Tenison of c.1715-16: 'Mrs Dorothy Lawson's MS, 4to' (LR/F/16, f. 69v). Recorded among the Tenison collection in the catalogue of the Lambeth manuscripts by David Wilkins dated 1720 (LR/F/40). Possibly owned previously by Tenison's brother-in-law John Lawson (c.1632-1705), President of the Royal College of Physicians. Dorothy Lawson was married to Roger Lawson, of Brough, Yorks., a descendant of the Lawson family of Cramlington, Northumberland. John Lawson may also have been descended from this family. He married his niece Rebecca Farr (of whom he was the guardian) to Robert Lawson of Cramlington in 1694 (VM I/18), and made their infant son John Lawson his heir. See the will of John Lawson in the National Archives (PROB 11/ 483) and the Lawson of Cramlington pedigree in Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, 'Archaeologia aeliana, or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity', vol 19, 1898, facing p. 13. For an edition see William Palmes, 'The life of Mrs Dorothy Lawson, of St. Antony's, near Newcastle-on-Tyne, ed. by G. Bourchier Richardson (Newcastle, 1851). On Dorothy Lawson, see the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. ff. 127r-138v. 'A supplication to Kinge Henrie the eight of noble memorie, wherein the lordshipps of Bishops, with ther pluralitans and idoll preests are set forth in ther true coulours, which was printed Anno 1544 and now newly sett forth for the speciall use of our tyme... Anno 1604'. A preface to a proposed new edition of a supplication to Henry VIII, published originally in 1544 and complaining of the luxury and inefficiency of the bishops and clergy. The supplication was originally published as 'A supplycacion to our moste soveraigne lorde Henry the eyght... [London], 1544; STC 24165. Archbishop Richard Bancroft's copy is in Lambeth Palace Library at 1549.4/12. At ff. 129r-135v is an address 'To the Christian Reader', beginning 'Ffindinge this booke (gentle Christian reader)...' . The anonymous author describes himself as elderly (f. 129v) and a layman (f.130r) who, in the reign of Queen Mary, had experience in the reformed churches and the presbyterian system (f. 132r). He attacks episcopacy and 'popish ceremonies and subscription' from a puritan perspective, praises James I and argues that presbyterianism is better suited to a monarchy than episcopacy. An additional title, added later, is in the hand of Edmund Gibson (1669-1748) while Lambeth Librarian: 'A petition against Bishops, dedicated to King Henry 8'. In Lambeth Palace Library by 1647, probably from the collection of Archbishop Richard Bancroft. Cambridge shelfmarks ' C. [theta]. 11' and 'quarto vol. 184' at f. 127r-v. Corresponding catalogue description in Tanner MS 268, f.167r Tanner MS. 274, f. 26r. ff. 139r-232v. Notes and annotations on the Geography of Strabo (64/63 B.C.-c. 24 A.D), books 3-10, especially on Spain, France, Britain, Germany and Italy. In Latin, with numerous words and quotations in Greek. Possibly the item recorded as 'Notae in Geographos antiquos, quarto', on a list of manuscripts purchases by Thomas Tenison from William Griffith (MS. 952, item 102). See Custodial history field. ff. 233r-251v. Theses for disputation in the English College at Lisbon, by Father Richard Grene, a student at the College. Address at f. 234r to John Leyburn (1620-1702) Bishop and Vicar Apostolic of the London district, with dedication to Father Richard Moseley, Divinity Reader and Moderator: 'These theses concerning the Incarnation of God, according to the opinion of the Thomists, to be disputed March the 12th in the evening in the English College of St. Peter and St. Paul at Lisbon ... F. William Grene, student of the same College'. The text is in Latin and English, in parallel. Additional title at f. 233r in the hand of Thomas Tenison: 'Theses ded. to B. Leyburn 1695'. Richard Grene (d.1727) was an alumnus of the College from 1682; he left for England in 1698. See William Croft, 'Historical account of Lisbon College' (Barnet, 1902), p. 204.
Description: 
Bound in two volumes, quarto, each quarter leather, 20th cent. Paper leaves of various sizes, mounted on guards
Date: 
16th century-1714
Language: 
English, French, Latin, Cornish, Greek
Rights: 
LPL